Friday, October 25, 2013

The Dark Dream

Rang the alarm and I rose-
        A strange feeling in me arose;
        For in my room brightness was none,
        Though beyond the window was the sun!

I stared,through the window into the park:
        The sun was lit but all was dark.
        The mighty sun wasn't golden yellow
        But as white as an albino!

I looked around for some clues
        But darkness engulfed the various hues.
        The outlines of the world were blurred,
        Suggesting something terrible had occurred!    

The walls in my room dissolved
        Leaving the queer mystery unsolved.
        A darker darkness like a panther
        Consumed it as if it was a monster!

All around me a living soul was none,
        All the world seems dead but one.
        The ground beneath broke and sway'd,
        The rest o' the world drifted away!

I looked at the Earth which once seemed near-
        Into the ever-consuming darkness disappear.
        Unable to comprehend what I saw
        My jaw was dropped in awe!

Suddenly I heard my alarm again
        For a moment I thought I was insane.
        Realizing the truth I awoke
        The sun's consoling rays I did soak.

When I narrate this dream to someone
        They say it had meaning none.
        But to me the mystery remains-
        As if a strange meaning it contains!
--R. Ranjan                          

3 comments: