Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Nuclear Explosion


Night it was, I went to bed,
The soft pillow greeted my head.
And as I slept, I sunk in deep
Into the comforting pool of sleep.

I really don't know what happened then:
Midnight hour the clock had struck when;
Confused I am but also tempt'd
To believe that I had dreamt.

A horrible night it was
And now I shall narrate the cause-
As I was asleep, in my head
I heard the sound I would ever dread.

It was one blast but seemed like hundred,
I wondered how many would've been dead.
I was mistaken to think it was all;
Soon I realized- it was but a warning call!

Several explosions followed,
I was as dumbstruck as a toad.
The most massive one I did not hear
For into shreds my eardrums it did tear!

Out of the window I gazed in horror,
I bet in everyone's heart there was terror.
A mushroom-shaped cloud arose;
In my veins the blood froze.

To close my eyes I didn't dare
As I saw everything incinerate into thin air!
The massive Earth trembled violently
While I kept watching silently.

The victorious smoke mockingly did touch
The heavenly sky birds loved so much.
The smoke from the ground cleared,
Revealing to me what I feared.

Was it a time machine, taking
Us back to centuries before our making?
There was no life: only barren crust-
Years of development, brought down to dust.

I stood by my window rooted to the spot,
While Time in full speed shot;
And as I glanced through years
I could not hold back my tears.

For I saw, as an effect of the bombs-
Maimed children in mothers' wombs.
I saw pain, cries and suffering leak
As blood from the scar on Time's cheek.

The tears burning my cheeks were hot 
But it was only one thing I thought:
"Was it the Devil's curse?
"Was it Hiroshima, or something worse?"

--R. Ranjan            

2 comments: